On December 6, 2011, the Center for Effective Philanthropy hosted a panel discussion titled Power & Light: Grappling with Transparency and Effectiveness in San Francisco. Presented in collaboration with Foundation Center and sponsored by the Irvine Foundation, the event featured Phil Buchanan, president of CEP; Emmett D. Carson, CEO and president of the Silicon Valley Community Foundation; Christy Pichel, president of the Stuart Foundation; and Bradford Smith, president of Foundation Center.
The panel explored the tensions that arise as foundations attempt to be both more transparent and more effective about achieving impact. Here is some of what Phil had to say over the course of the conversation.
As Phil mentioned in a blog post shortly after the event, foundations have made progress when it comes to transparency. Still, Phil argues, there is a long, long way to go to raise the bar on what constitutes transparency that matters.
Stephen Sullivan is Senior Coordinator – Communications & Programming at the Center for Effective Philanthropy.
- Making Transparency Matter
- Back to Basics: What Are You Trying to Achieve?
- Podcast Interview Explores Findings in CEP’s Recent State of Foundation Performance Assessment Report
- Jim Canales to Address Overall Foundation Performance Assessment as CEP Guest Blogger
- Monitor Institute and CEP Join Forces to Scale Data Visualization Tool