Core values of employment at CEP:
- We value a passionate commitment to improving the performance of the world’s philanthropic funders. We have a deep belief in the power of data and analysis to improve decision-making. We believe that successful employees want to make the world a better place and are motivated to seize opportunities to do so.
- We believe that committed individuals will grow and develop in an environment in which they are trained, mentored, and supported. We value hard work and productivity, but also recognize the importance of maintaining a work-life balance.
- We believe each employee has a strong sense of ownership for the work that they do, and the work of CEP as a whole. Strengths of CEP’s work culture are entrepreneurialism, accountability, teamwork, collegiality, diversity, and mutual respect.
The Research team at The Center for Effective Philanthropy (CEP) seeks a highly motivated Research Analyst with a desire to utilize her/his abilities to create positive social impact by improving the performance of charitable funders and, through them, the nonprofit sector as a whole. We are seeking candidates who express a defined interest in contributing to research by helping to design methodologically sound studies and conducting rigorous quantitative and qualitative analyses. This position is based in CEP's Cambridge, MA office.
The Research Analyst will work closely with CEP's energetic and diverse staff to provide foundation executives, boards, and staff with data-driven insights to enhance the effectiveness of their work.
More specifically, she/he can expect to be involved in the following:
- Contributing seminal research to the philanthropic sector
- Performing rigorous quantitative and qualitative analyses using data collected from foundations, grantee organizations, beneficiaries, and/or other stakeholders in the nonprofit sector
- Synthesizing findings, shaping the ideas communicated in final materials, and developing clear and compelling reports and/or presentations
- Designing survey questions and managing processes associated with fielding surveys
- Actively contributing to team discussions, collaborating on cross-team projects, and helping develop CEP's internal knowledge base and operations
Desired Professional Attributes:
- College degree (B.S., B.A.) and 0 to 1 year of work experience required (Ph.D. and experienced Masters level candidates will not be considered)
- Demonstrated proficiency in statistical analyses such as T-Tests, ANOVA, and Chi Squares is required. Demonstrated experience performing regressions will receive preferred consideration.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct quantitative analysis and synthesize findings into persuasive recommendations
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint and experience with statistical packages (i.e. SPSS, SAS, STATA, R) desirable
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- While much of a Research Analyst's work is independent, all Research Analysts work on teams and therefore are hard-working, empathetic, team-oriented, and reliable
- Like CEP as an organization, Research Analysts must be confident that their work makes a difference but humble in the knowledge that they and CEP are always learning and improving
Compensation is competitive and includes generous benefits. CEP is based in Cambridge Massachusetts, with a second office in San Francisco, California. This position is available in CEP's office of about 27 staff in Cambridge.
Please upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, in Word format and addressed to CEP’s Director of Talent and Administration, Brian Hughes, through this link
Expected Start Date: This position will start between January and February 2014.
Director of Marketing and Programming
CEP is currently seeking a hard-working, creative, and committed Director of Marketing and Programming, based in CEP's Cambridge, MA office, to closely partner with the President on all aspects of the organization’s marketing and communications.
The Center for Effective Philanthropy (CEP) is a nonprofit organization focused on the development of comparative data to enable higher-performing funders. CEP’s mission is to provide data and create insight so philanthropic funders can better define, assess, and improve their effectiveness – and, as a result, their intended impact.
CEP pursues its mission through data collection and research that fuel the creation of assessment tools, publications, and programming. Since receiving initial funding in 2001, CEP has produced widely referenced research reports on foundation performance assessment, foundation strategy, foundation governance, and foundation–grantee relationships. CEP has created new data sets relevant to foundation leaders and hosted highly regarded programming focused on key issues related to funder effectiveness.
CEP research publications are widely read by foundation CEOs and have, according to third party assessments, influenced practice at many large foundations. More than 250 foundations – including the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Ford Foundation, and William and Flora Hewlett Foundation—have used CEP’s assessment tools. CEP has been credited in the press with “shaking up” the foundation world and is viewed as the leading institution in providing performance assessment data to foundations in the U.S. and, increasingly, internationally.
With primary responsibility for external communications designed to promote CEP’s research, assessment tools, and programming resources the Director of Marketing and Programming will oversee CEP’s website and its popular blog, marketing materials for CEP’s suite of services, its social media presence, and its biennial conference for foundation CEOs and trustees.
The Director will work closely and collaboratively with the Vice President for Assessment Tools and Vice President for Research, working to help them gain more visibility for the work they lead. Additionally, the Director will be responsible for securing national, regional and niche press coverage. A key part of the role will be supporting the President in his role as the organization’s leading spokesperson – identifying opportunities to for him to influence philanthropy through his speaking and writing. Reporting directly to the President and serving as a member of the senior team, the Director will oversee a staff of two.
We seek a candidate who has the qualities needed to build collaborative, productive relationships across the organization. The successful candidate will embody a fervent commitment to getting things right and will share CEP’s belief that sweating the small stuff does, indeed, matter. S/he will have the ability to focus simultaneously on the big picture and the details to drive work to successful completion, the flexibility to be a producer one moment and a manager the next, and a strong work ethic. Finally, the successful candidate will possess a sense of humor and positive spirit.
- Develop, plan and implement communications strategies that promote CEP’s assessment tools and research, as well as position CEP as a thought leader in the philanthropic community. Ensure the highest standards of communications
- Develop and execute plans to creatively disseminate CEP’s knowledge, utilizing social media and new technologies to break through a crowded landscape of messages about effective philanthropy
- Write and edit marketing collateral, email newsletter content, website/blog content, and press releases. Compose speeches, op-ed pieces and other written assignments in collaboration with CEP’s President
- Actively pursue coverage in the trade and mainstream media, developing and maintaining press relationships; engage President or other staff in press opportunities as appropriate
- Plan and produce CEP’s biennial conference of several hundred senior foundation leaders and other event programming aimed at foundation CEOs, trustees, and senior executives
- Manage relationships with external vendors, including designers, writers, programmers and production firm
- Develop marketing and programming budget in partnership with VP of Finance
- Provide leadership and management to the marketing and programming staff of two. Oversee the team’s capacity to provide public relations, design and communications support to CEP departments, including the Development, Research and Assessment Tools teams
Qualifications & Requirements:
- At least 6 years of communications, marketing or public relations experience, preferably in an entrepreneurial environment; familiarity with philanthropy a plus
- Outstanding writing and editing skills, including comfort writing with accuracy and rigor about quantitative data and analyses
- Sharp news sense and experience securing press coverage at national, regional, and niche media levels
- Ability to lead staff, make decisions and prioritize competing requests in a fast-moving, results-oriented organization
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to transfer good communications skills to colleagues who do not specialize in communications
- Willingness to play a range of roles, from adviser to strategist to implementer
- Ability to manage multiple projects effectively, as well as manage consultants and meet deadlines
- Personal commitment to CEP’s mission
- Proficient in Windows, MS Office suite, and social media tools. Familiarity with Salesforce a plus
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent; advanced degree preferable
Please upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, in Word format and addressed to CEP’s Director of Talent and Administration, Brian Hughes through this link.
CEP values diversity of backgrounds, skills, experiences, and perspectives and has adopted a diversity and inclusiveness policy that outlines our values and principles.